Saturday, December 22, 2007

I am older than the *nix epoch

This fact dawned on me this week, during a discussion of UTC time handling in particular, and time/date handling in Flex in general.

I don't know why I fixated on it. OK, I do know why. I'm terribly vain, *and* I'm the oldest guy in the company. At least I'm not the most mature!

Random Fun Facts

  • The UNIX epoch is defined as midnight, UTC, Jan 1, 1970.
  • I'm 42 years old, born just after the Earth finished cooling in July 1965, so that makes me about -4.5 years from the epoch.
  • UTC is not technically an acronym, since the letters don't stand for anything. Instead, the letters represent an interesting compromise between the French TUC (temps universel coordonné) and the English CUT (coordinated universal time).
  • I think the year 2038 problem is much more likely to be a big issue than the non-event that was Y2K.
  • Man, this date/time stuff is a difficult problem to solve precisely.
  • Did you know that the Unix epoch of Jan 1, 1970 is not the same as the UTC epoch of Jan 1, 1972?
  • Did you know that the official UTC spec includes leap seconds, but Unix time doesn't?
  • All of this makes me think of this Chicago song. Which is also older than the Unix epoch.

1 comment:

Bot and me said...

Thanks for the post. It was very interesting and meaningful.
Super Bowl Commercials 2012| Money Talks| Money Talks News|